Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ped Shield

I want to introduce to you all a new term: the "Ped Shield." Credit goes to Mister Harford, though apparently he doesn't remember dubbing the term. It stands for "Pedestrian Shield." It would be nice if I could illustrate to you the term with a series of pictures, but words will have to suffice since I don't think I can make great pictures.

When I'm leaving my apartment in Berkeley, there's an intersection that I have to stop at because it tells me so. It tells me so with a stop sign. The cross traffic, however, does not need to stop because there is no stop sign for the cross traffic. That means that if there is an infinite amount of cross traffic, I will be stuck there forever. Oh noes!

Though I have not yet encountered the problem of infinite traffic, sometimes there is a lot of traffic that feels infinite. "Oh ouroboros!", I think to myself. Is that comma supposed to be inside the quotation marks? Anyway, so many cars, and I must wait heres forevers at this stop sign!

Luckily, however, pedestrians begin to cross at the intersection. Since most of the time the cross traffic cars decide not to run over the pedestrians, the cross traffic has been blocked, allowing me to get through the blasted intersection! The pedestrians have formed a shield for me against the oncoming cars allowing me to enter the intersection safely, hence, the "Ped Shield."

Ped Shield is great! I love the Ped Shield. It is handy to me often.

3 comments:

Wesley said...

Ped shield is sometimes the only way I can make the turn from Parker to Telegraph! Gotta love those pesky pedestrians!

Rachel said...

About caffeine, here's a quick answer (I don't know if you checked back to my blog.)
"Tonight something is wrong with my internet, so the wsj video you mentioned is not playing past 30 seconds. I'll view it fully tomorrow.
for now, here's a quick research resource from the National Institutes of Health: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/caffeine.html#cat27
As Beck stated, the health benefits of coffee are a "qualified maybe." So yes, coffee might be good for you, but I wouldn't recommend increasing coffee drinking habits. I'll research further after I view the whole video tomorrow.

Joseph said...

Thanks !