Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Of Manners

Hello friends and non-friends. I know I told you I'd post more, but then I went ahead and posted only once all of last month. My apologies. I have some thoughts about things I've been working out in my head, but it's late and it'd take some time for them to be put into a form ready for public consumption. So! How about some more shallow thoughts =)

I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice. It's really interesting how concerned they are with courtesy, civility, manners, form. They're so concerned about such things that it's really quite ridiculous. Its gotten me thinking more about social conventions in our world today. Certain things can be said at certain times, and are just inappropriate or awkward at others. Historically I like to pooh-pooh conventions if I can, but, I've become increasingly aware of my need to at least be aware of what the conventions are.

Rules can be broken, but only under certain circumstances. Awkward can be funny, but sometimes its just awkward. Anyway, that's all. Trying to learn.

Oh boy I'm going to be tired tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

awesome, welcome to the world of Jane Austen!! haha

James said...

Yay! Pride and Prejudice! I like that book.