Monday, February 22, 2010

Telescope and Stethescope

Here's something I read last week and captures well what I've been struggling to learn. It's from the essay called "The Analyst" by F.W. Boreham.

Chesterton says that the battle of the future is the battle between the telescope and the microscope. He is mistaken. The battle of the future is between the telescope and the stethoscope. And in that fight the telescope must win. It was fashionable, once upon a time, for most excellent and devout people to spend half their time with the stethoscope in awful introspection and analysis. Such self-examination has its place; but it has been sadly overdone. I prefer to lay down the stethoscope and take up the telescope. "Looking off unto Jesus," says a wonderful writer who points out this more excellent way. It is so very difficult to analyse the soul and to dissect the good from the bad. I like to think of that great and gracious Covenantor, David Dickson, Professor of Theology in Glasgow University. When he lay dying, he attempted to analyse his inmost self; but he soon abandoned the attempt. Then, turning to his bosom friend, John Livingstone, who sat beside his death-bed, he said: "I have taken them all - all my good deeds and all my bad deeds - and have cast them all together in a heap before the Lord! I have fled from both of them to Jesus; and in Him I have sweet peace!" It was beautifully and bravely spoken.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very good quote :). So true that we should look unto Him and REJOICE!

Unknown said...

A very good quote :)!

Rachel said...

mm, i like this quote. less introspection and more looking out, up, and around.