Monday, December 20, 2010

Rationally Irrational

I want things to make sense.  It is not that I have a need to understand everything.  Music, for example.  I know little about it, so it does not bother me when something does not make sense musically, because I know I lack the understanding to understand.  As I look out into the world, I have a perception of some kind of basic rationality, order, and logic.  Hit the ball off the table, it falls.  Be nice to someone, and they appreciate it.  Drink water when thirsty, and the thirst is satiated.

What happens when that regularity is broken?  If, say, the ball floated when it was knocked off the table? That could be magical.  But if you were walking and you fell upwards into the ceiling, inexplicably?

That has never happened to me, of course.  Things do happen, however, that violate the operating norms of the world as I understand them.  And that's often very frustrating.  I want the world to make sense, to not hit me with unpleasant surprises.  I want it to follow that kind of standard regularity which I wish it to.  The world often does not make sense when it should.

That is in part why I like doing things that are random.  Or, in other words, doing things without having sufficient reason to do them.  Like barking, or throwing pillows, or yelling combinations of words that are grammatically coherent but contain no meaning.  If the world is not going to operate rationally and consistently, then am I not acting in accordance with the standard practices of the world by acting irrationally?  Shall I be blamed for joining in the world's chaos through my part-time madness?  Double standard!  World, if you are not going to be reasonable, why must I always be logical and reasonable?

I believe that God is a rational being and the source of logic, and He made the universe and all of its laws with perfect order and sensibility.  I believe that the world has an ultimate, consistent order that it must follow because of the nature of the one who made it.  I am simply echoing the thoughts of G.K. Chesterton when he said "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational...  but that it is almost rational."

Well, until next time!  WOOF!

No comments: