Thursday, April 23, 2009

Missing Quote and Communication

Ah, here's the C.S. Lewis quote I was thinking of last time, but couldn't find:

"...you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were just those who thought most of the next. The Apostles... all left their mark on Earth, precisely because their minds were occupied with Heaven. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this. Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth and you will get neither."

On a completely separate note, I realized what it is that I do wrong when I talk. What I do is I put my thoughts into words. When my thoughts are good, then my talking is good, so that's why when I understand something and think things through, I can talk well and explain things clearly. This way of talking serves me well when I have time to think about it first.

However, this kind of direct thought-->words speech process is one of the reasons why I can be kind of blunt at times. Caught off guard, I'll just say honestly what I think and forget to consider what kind of impact my words might have. My point will be clearly stated but the message conveyed will be different than what was intended.

Gotta work on this whole communication thing.

1 comment:

tv said...

Today, I heard a writer say writing-through arranging his thoughts-helps to understand himself.