Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Manly but Foolish

The other day I went with Albert Kim and Sean to Bancroft Clothing to buy umbrellas. We were immediately drawn to the large and sturdy $22 golf umbrellas. Every time we opened up one of those things it would make a FWOOM sound, full and powerful, and we excitedly joked about how just owning one of those umbrellas would double your manliness, and how this umbrella alone would be enough to transition a person from boyhood to manhood.

And then I saw the tag: ladies golf umbrella. Shocked, I put the umbrella back and refused to buy it. We were all confused about why an all-black and completely gender-neutral umbrella was labeled a ladies umbrella, but I was convinced that it was unacceptable to use such an umbrella as I hear that doing such things can cause one to dream about pink ponies and unicorns. Sean and Albert bought the ladies umbrella anyway.

I opted for a smaller, $25 titanium umbrella. Doesn't provide as much coverage as the big umbrella, but it's good because I can carry it around in my backpack all the time and I'm more prone to lose a big umbrella that I have to put down separately from my backpack. I was pretty happy about my purchase, until yesterday when Robin, Vivian and I were walking to class from the Y, and Vivian had a green umbrella exactly the same as mine... except that she got it from another nearby store for $10.

So yes. I conclude that I am manly but foolish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahah great story. thanks for sharing it.